Friday, November 26, 2010

Giving Thanks

It has been a very busy, fun few weeks at WRF. Much progress has been made on the wood-shop (more pics of that to come). Many thanks to Jeff, our intrepid lead-carpenter - and to Wendy, Ivy, and Reed for lending us their husband/daddy.

Here's one of my favorite pics of Jeff in Woods Hole with the boys

We also shared a beautiful Thanksgiving meal with my father and step-mother, my sister-in-law, Jocelyn, and her children, Lucas and Sydney. Our STAR guest was Alex, who came all the way from his new 'hood in Los Angeles. On Wednesday, everyone was charged with writing out something they were grateful for and when we anonymously read each other's cards at the Thanksgiving table, there were several that gave thanks for Alex's presence on the farm. Thank you, Jocelyn, for the photos!

Cousins on the couch. 

Now 2 of my boys are taller than me!

Cousins in the hay-field!


Jack is studying some serious magic tricks. Sydney and I like to watch them.

Thanks, Alex, for gettin' in there.

I ordered two heritage breed turkeys from Sugarmomma's Maple Farm, a wonderful family farm in Northwood. All reports were that they were dee-lish. My father recommends Adele Davis' slow roasting method which we used with great success. We put the birds in the night before for an hour at 350 and then brought the temp down to 180 and let them sit in the oven until just before dinner at 4. Alex saved my father and I from having to handle the birds too much.

I also collected some recipes from various magazines and blogs including two keeper recipes for home-made rustic herb stuffing and vegetarian mushroom thyme gravy. My step-mother, Elizabeth, made and brought from West Virginia 2 home-made pumpkin pies, using sweet, roasted Cushaw pumpkins. When I can, I will share some of these recipes on the new blog.

First holiday family meal at Winnicut River Farm!

Art and my dad brought in a tree the beaver's left by the river.
And much of the last few days were spent chopping it up for more fire-wood.

Sydney and Alex gave a hand too.

1 comment:

linda said...

THANK YOU, finally a post on here...nice table bean, sounds yummy....ALEX looks sooooooooooo good...